Volunteers feel most valued when they feel that they are a part of your organization and that they are making a positive difference.
When designing new volunteer positions or adding responsibilities to existing roles, there are things you can do to ensure that your volunteers have the best experience with your organization.
Remember the following best practices from the Canadian Code for Volunteer Involvement:
1. Consult your volunteers and staff when developing new assignments.
2. Make sure there are written descriptions that include duties, responsibilities, required skills, required time and benefits.
3. Develop your assignments to reflect both the needs of your organization and the needs of your volunteers.
4. Review your assignments periodically with staff and volunteers to provide relevance and value.
5. Ensure that volunteers with special requirements or challenges can become involved with the organization.
6. Make sure that the level of risk is assessed and minimized for all volunteer assignments.
Want to learn more? Take our Elements of Volunteer Engagement Workshop.