We know that Calgarians are eager to help wherever they can, but according to Mayor Nenshi, the real need for volunteers is yet to come. We still have a big clean-up job ahead of us and we will let you know when that time comes.
Volunteering update: Currently, the City of Calgary does not need volunteers. Check back for updates.
In the meantime, if you feel the need to help or live near one of these drop off locations and it is safe for you to get there, here are a few donation drop-off locations and wish lists for people wanting to contribute at this point in time.
Note: This blog is updated regularly
- NeighbourLink’s doors are open Monday June 24, they have a BIG donation coming in between noon and 2pm so please no donations at that time. and accepting donations of water, blankets, food, formula, cleaning supplies, buckets, mops and products for those in need. *No longer accepting clothing. They are coordinating with agencies across Calgary to get them out. Call Melissa at (403)998-4502 if you have any questions on how to help or if you need help.
Volunteer: The response to volunteer with Neighbourlink was amazing, but they are full up of volunteers now. Check back later in the week, there will be a need. Thanks Calgary!
Drop-off: 3751 21St Street NE warehouse is open now.
- The Drop-In Centre. Will be Updated again as soon as we know what they need
Drop off: temporary centre at 4804 Edmonton Trail N.E. (former hotel near the intersection of McKnight Trail and Edmonton Trail)
- Calgary Humane Society is no longer in need of crates, but their wish list is: Science Diet Wet Cat + Kitten food, Kitten meal replacement, Small containers for kitten milk replacement (small Tupperware, cream cheese, etc), Flat sheets + blankets (nothing feather-filled please! The dogs will destroy pillows and duvets and it’s a pain to clean up).
Drop off: Calgary Humane Society Shelter 4455 110th Ave SE. or see their blog for a list of drop-off locations throughout the city http://blog.calgaryhumane.ca/yyc-pet-donation-drop-off-points/
- Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank Wish list: easy to prepare and store meals ,
Soups (small cans, pull tabs), Bottled water, Lunch box size juice boxes, Meal replacement beverages, Dry cereal, Teas & instant coffee
Drop off: Calgary Farmers Market June 23 #510 77th AVE SE and any Calgary Food Bank donation box in stores such as Safeway, Co-op, Sobey’s, Superstore.
- Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society wish list: Dog/Puppy Food, Cat/Kitten Food/Litter, Laundry Supplies (Bleach, Laundry Detergent, & Dryer Sheets), Puppy Pads/Newspaper, Waste Bags, Zip Ties, detergent, cleaning supplies, large crates, Canned Gastro Food Canine & Feline (for upset tummies), Virkon-disinfectant only available at UFA, Gift Cards for gas stations, Walmart & Costco (to purchase supplies and gas for rescuers traveling to rescue sites)
Drop off: Safe Haven Bay G, 3851 21st Street NE.
Volunteer: ARRCS Safe Haven will need the help of volunteers, not sure how many they can handle, but if you want to help contact:firstname.lastname@example.org
- YWCA Calgary A flood was not in the business plan for the YWCA, they are also in need of financial help. To donate online go to: http://www.ywcaofcalgary.com/donate-form/ any bit helps.
- Chasing Tails Wish list: Crates, Wet or dry food (Cat or dog), Bedding, Toys, Leashes, Collars, Cat litter (pelleted), Bug Spray (Humans), marigold spray (animals)
- Bowness Community Association Wish list: Storage Bins, Boxes, Garbage Bags, Rubber Gloves, Rubber Boots, Face Masks, Bleach, Rags, Brooms, Mops
All-Purpose Cleaners – Mr. Clean/ Pinesol etc. Shop-Vacs – to borrow
Drop off: June 24 7904 – 43 Avenue N.W.
- Monetary donations can be made to Red Cross 1-800-418-1111 or at www.redcross.ca. and the YWCA Calgary http://www.ywcaofcalgary.com/donate-form/
- Message From The Calgary Counselling Centre
For counselling support during this time please call 403-266-HELP (4357) for crisis support. Anytime, anywhere, 24 hour support.
- NEW. Calgary Dream Centre currently has a high demand for: Socks, Underwear, Mens Clothing, Shoes, Work Boots, Frozen Foods, Coffee Mugs & meat.
The Calgary Dream Centre is also working as a donation centre for donations for ward 9, their wish list now also includes: Gloves, bags, shovels, small bins, masks, cleaning supplies, garbage bags, frozen burgers, hotdogs & buns
If you are coordinating any volunteer activities and wish to have a location to meet & organize, please contact Chris Primeau @ email@example.com or 403-978-3909
- NEW. Sunrise Community Link Resource Centre has put out a call for donations of non-perishable food items. Please call 403-204-8280. They are located at 3303 17 Ave SE 32 St SE.
- NEW. Message From Inn From The Cold
They do not have a need for items (ie. clothing, toys, etc.) at the moment and, unfortunately, do not have appropriate storage for these types of donations. They are, however, currently paying for families’ accomodations and monetary donations would therefore be greatly appreciated! You can quickly and easily make a donation online.
- NEW. In partnership with Siksika Nation Calgary Office, AIDS Calgary will be is opening up Calgary Learns downtown office as a drop off location for donations.
Drop off: #110, 1603 10th Ave SW (corner of 10th ave & 15th street SW)
Building says “Calgary Cares Centre
When: 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM Monday through Friday
What: Current high need items include diapers, formula, pillows, blankets, gift cards (Sobey’s, Walmart, Canadian Tire) clothing racks and hangers.
For more information, please contact Andrea at 403-508-2500 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEW. The Alex Community Health Centre report that a great number of their clients have been dislocated and they are in urgent need of hygiene items.
The following may be dropped off in the next several days at their facility at
101, 1318 Centre Street N 403.266.2622
Razors, Deodorant, Shampoo/conditioner, Shaving cream, Body wash/soap, Sunscreen,Tampons, Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Combs/brushes
- NEW Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter
First their clients fled from violence and now displaced due to flooding.
Financial contributions are the best way to help, but we are now also looking for donations of:
• Women’s clothing: yoga pants (all sizes), white or black or navy collared shirts, underwear, socks, bedroom slippers, and pajamas
• Misc.Toiletries, towels (white), paper plates, quilts(double/single/queen), pillows (standard size), cutlery, extra large garbage bags (families use these to move out their belongings)
We are able to accept only new items. To drop off a donation or info on specific items needed, call the donation line at (403) 539-5130. To donate online: